Wednesday 2 October 2013

Experimenting with Edges

2nd October 2013

Whew, I have had a really busy day!

It started with grocery shopping, gardening in my local park, long beach walk (not barefoot today), pickling beetroot, making mushroom soup for our meal and I ended on my machine creating some edges with a difference!!

I began with my twin needle as I really like the effect....

Apologies for photos!!

I used a cerise and pink variegated thread and used a variety of programmed stitches.

Any of these stitches would look good as an edge and 2/3 would make a deeper edge. The twin needle gives a slightly raised effect.

The next sample shows a scallop type edge using bonded scrim and cotton. I again used the twin needle    and satin stitch around the shape then attached to the edge of backing fabric with the wavy programmed stitch and this gave some texture. I must use this in a sea-scape.

Next was an edge I thought would look good on a child's dress, pinafore or could be used to decorate a pocket or bag!!

I used painted Lutradur backed with Bondaweb for the grass, stems and leaves. Then ironed on the 'flowers' made with my dyed fabrics backed with Bondaweb. These were free machined in place.

I enjoyed my hour on the machine, a treat at the end of a busy day!!

Must put these in my sketch book then start on braids and tassels....

1 comment:

  1. I love the scalloped edges. I think its the colours that draw me to it.