Wednesday, 25 September 2013

Printing and Soluble Fabric

25th September 2013

I was gardening in my local park this morning and very satisfying it was too.

Then took our dog for a long walk along the promenade.

Next decided to print my 'pilates' t-shirt with one of my favourite wooden blocks.



        close up....


I had to paint grass around the tree with a fine brush as I pressed too hard on the block when I was printing and made a smudge but I think it looks okay!

I then printed, using my flower block, on cotton muslin scrim and am hoping to use free machining to enhance. I intend to make cards....



I then 'bit the bullet' and had a go at soluble fabric, the next part of Unit 4.


I used Solu-Fleece soluble fabric with a piece of triple organza from last weeks play with my soldering iron.

I encased the organza with the soluble fabric and stitched using a fine silver metallic thread and it worked really well.


Then I dissolved the fabric in warm water and this is the result...


it was a good learning curve as the second from the bottom was not very successful as I had used zigzag but not remembered to make a straight stitch first so the zigzag lines stretched when the soluble fabric was removed! Also the third from the top did not catch the sides but still looks okay!
I was quite pleased with the result and will try something different tomorrow if I have time!!

I am really enjoying combining various techniques to produce something original.