Wednesday, 11 September 2013

Black and White 'Holes'

11th September 2013

Spent all yesterday morning stitching and experimenting!!

I decided to try a 3D effect with fabric and stitching based on some work I did with paper in Unit 3.


I began by sandwiching 2 pieces of muslin and cotton with bondaweb for strength and also to seal the edges. I had never done this before but vilene was not suitable for my task. It actually worked quite well! Think I may try this method to make raised flower petals.

I cut a circle in the muslin and then a spiral.


Next I free machined using zigzag to raise the spiral off the black felt backing.
Unfortunately this photo doesn't show the effect very well.


I marked out the cotton fabric using a pencil as this gives a much finer line and would be covered by stitching.


I cut the pattern out so that I had flaps/holes in the fabric.



Then I had a great time free machining and 'went with the flow' trying for a variety of raised surfaces and was quite pleased with the result. 

Two plain fabrics in contrasting colours have a striking effect. I think this idea would look good on a  wall hanging but it would collect the dust!!!




The oval on the top right has the 2 flaps joined with stitch and this stands up about 1 cm.


Wish my photos were better, but at least they give you the idea.

I think I will try making holes in fabric that frays for a different effect next time and hope my soldering iron comes soon for more experimenting!!