Saturday, 28 September 2013

More Experimenting with Free Machining

28th september 2013

What a beautiful day! I was walking barefoot on the beach today and even paddling for a minute or two.

Yesterday was really busy with the Macmillan coffee afternoon, but it was great and well worth all the effort from a lot of people as £320 was raised. More details and photos on Joanne's blog:-

www.thoughtfulthreadsbyjo.blogspot.com

This afternoon I used one of my lovely flower wooden stamp blocks to print on a piece of cotton scrim...


I backed this fabric with natural coloured linen/viscose to help with the free machining.

I used shaded threads and was pleased with the effect...


On the next print I tried 2 top threads, red and cerise, and used straight stitch around the edge and filled in with zigzag, making the stitches varying lengths. The effect of using this method was a much thicker, denser stitch. I used a purply/pink variegated using straight stitch for some detail.


I think I may stitch around the shape over a fine wadding to give a quilted effect and hopefully reduce the slight puckering of the scrim. 

It is great having an experiment work, not sure what I will do with these flowers, maybe an aperture card that could be framed, but that is for another day ......