Thursday, 19 June 2014

Simple Printing and Stitching

19th June 2014

Been playing the last couple of days-no surprise there!!

I cut a square from a small rubber and used oddments of tea dyed cotton and a bronze metallic fabric paint.....

..next stitched in variegated thread and wide satin stitch....



....the odd line of stitching at the top shows how my machine was stitching zigzag at first! A problem to solve, cleaned and oiled, changed needle, stitched on a piece if felt, problem solved, or so I thought until I tried again around the squares!!! Some choice language, stamping of feet and I looked at the backing for the cotton. I had used a stitch on vilene but on another piece I had made earlier had used tear away paper/fabric. When I replaced the vilene with the 'paper' the problem really was sorted but it took nearly an hour!! Rant over....

...very simple, but I like it!!



Also used silk noil and a small circular sponge....


....and stitched using free motion stitching...


...after some hand stitching...


Not keen on this, think my thread should have been lighter and finer!!


Another sample with couched yarn...


...simple stitching and french knots...



.... this book 'triggered' these ideas.


:::::

Decided to make 'keepsake cards' with the results of my last play session....


....they can always be framed/mounted!


Think I might make something similar in another colourway....