Wednesday, 4 December 2013

More Experimenting with Soft Edge Applique.

4th December 2013

I started by ironing a piece of bondaweb backed Lutradur onto linen scrim...


...stitched in gold metallic and cotton variegated thread..


..again some puckering although I backed with orange dyed linen but I quite like the texturing on this sample!



I then stitched a circle on linen, quite densely, and appliqued this in the centre...



The backing linen looks more red in this photo but it actually matches the Lutradur circle!

I do like the way dense free machining distorts the fabrics.

My next little sample I am not pleased with but I will show you anyway.

I found some silk paper I made ages ago, in one of my textile books, and wove 6 strips and placed between two pieces of organza and stitched in a variegated metallic thread to secure, sealing the organza edges with my trusty soldering iron!


The natural light is so poor at the moment that the flash want off!


I held the sample up against the window...


I might try something like this in leaf shapes next time.......